7.12.2010

New layout! (sort of)

If you're reading this on my blog's main page, you might notice a few differences. Hella Angeleno is now Hella 日本 (that's "Nihon" or "Japan" for the majority of you reading my blog), and the layout has changed! I'm not 100% sure about all this floral nonsense, but all the solid colors I tried made my blog look like the website for the historical society, so for now it stays. I suppose that is a risk of using this particular photo in the header... it's not exactly, you know, edgy. But too bad, I'm keeping it!

Speaking of the photo--it was taken sometime in the 1950s in Niigata, Japan. The lady on the right is my great-grandmother, Shige Sakuma. You can't tell from the cropped version, but in the original photo it's clear that she's the American visitor, with a nice bag and shoes. I have no idea who the other people in the photo are.

I don't know if any of you have read the book Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (or seen the movie with Elijah Wood, which is probably more likely), but I suddenly find myself in the same position as the "hero" of that book. He's full of romantic visions of his family history; he steps off a plane in the country of his ancestors, with only a black-and-white photograph to guide him--and is immediately greeted by a flatulent dog and a guide whose English he can barely understand. No one is interested in his family; they just want to know if everyone in America is rich and has a giant penis, and require multiple explanations when he asks for a vegetarian dish in a restaurant (he ends up with potatoes). As crazy as it sounds, this is what I want--to bring my connection with Japan into the present, no matter how mundane or absurd the results. I'm not interested in lying to people about my "samurai ancestors"; I want to see rice fields.

(And rice fields I shall see. Hooray inaka!)

5 comments:

  1. Make sure to keep perpetuating the stereotype about the giant penises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool blog. It'll be interesting to see your transition from LA to Japan. Looking forward to some interesting stories and opinions :) Have fun in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new layout :D Very personal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Elizabeth!!!

    This is Charlie. Can you email me? I'd love to chat with you. You got my email, correct? I think of you often, my dear!

    ReplyDelete