7.18.2010

Bergamot Station

I realize I already made a post basically saying I was done with LA, but here's one more for you: on Wednesday, Kelsey and I went to Bergamot Station!


Bergamot Station is an arts center and gallery complex in Santa Monica. It used to be a light rail station (where bergamot flourished, hence the name), then a warehouse complex, and then it was abandoned and the city developed it into what it is now. It has a really cool, industrial vibe. Each gallery is completely independent, so there are all kinds of art--photography, sculpture, painting, landscapes, abstract art, portraits.




(Side note: I generally hate coffee house food but the roast beef sandwich I had at the cafe was REALLY GOOD. Cheap, too!)

It's also dog-friendly... a lot of the galleries even had their own dog.


Sophie here was the sweetest! (I love black pugs!)


She desperately wanted something in Kelsey's purse. We eventually realized it was her gum, haha.


After Bergamot Station we ended up heading to Abbot Kinney, which is a shopping area in Santa Monica. A lot of the stores are in old houses that have been renovated, which is pretty cool, but this store took it to the next level by keeping all the rooms intact. There were aprons and cooking supplies for sale in the kitchen, and this awesome display of sea-related goodies (including lots of mermaids) in the bathroom!

We ended up hanging out pretty late that night, but eventually I had to say my first goodbye :( Kelsey and her family have been such a huge support since I moved to LA. I always have the best adventures with her because she knows where to go--even all the way back when I visited Ryan in LA, I wasn't sure I could live here until I met up with Kelsey and she took me shopping on Melrose. Her mom has had us over for many delicious dinners (and sent us home with leftover frozen dinners she had made for the cast and crew of Bri's film Gut-to-Go, which saved my life several times, especially during interviews).

Also, two tangentially related things (okay, one is actually completely unrelated). Speaking of Gut-to-Go: Ryan and I ended up being quite involved in production, and now it's finished and about to premiere. Bri did a fantastic job and is now reaping the rewards of her hard work: she's worked with some big names, was interviewed and featured on ABC News, has been accepted into several film festivals, and was nominated for the Best Actress award at the AOF Film Festival for her performance! Here's the link to her news page again--maybe it'll be playing at a film festival near you!

On a much less exciting note, I've been copy editing for Hyphen magazine for a little over a year now, but the next issue (on newsstands August 15--look for ukulele player Jake Shimabukuro on the cover) will be my last, and they've decided to feature me on the contributors page! Check it out if you get the chance; my "most memorable Hyphen moment" is pretty lolworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment