8.30.2011

27. The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
Vintage UK (Random House), 519 pages, 2004

I hate to say this, because so many of my friends saw me reading this book and told me they LOVED it, were moved to tears by it, etc, but it was just too damn long. For a story with such an interesting premise it sure managed to be boring. The beginning, when we're still putting together the story of Henry's time-travel, was great, but then it devolved into hundreds of pages of wedded suburban humdrum. Now they're shopping for a house! Now Clare wants a baby! Now they're struggling with infertility! If I found this kind of shit interesting I could just re-friend all the people I hated in high school and read my facebook feed. Something about the characters rubbed me the wrong way too--the princess and the bad boy. I didn't think they really showed any chemistry--the only reason they were together was because, well, they were (thanks to Henry time-traveling to meet Clare in her childhood so that neither of them had any choice; it's FATE!!!1). The last time I read a love story this contrived was, no joke, Twilight.

Next up: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment