8.19.2011

25. Small Gods

Small Gods, Terry Pratchett
HarperCollins e-book, 343 pages, 1992

This was my first Terry Pratchett novel. I really wanted to love it, and it did grow on me as I went along, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. For one thing, most of the book is a parody of religion, which I can appreciate on an abstract level but have trouble really getting into because the particular kind of straight-laced, by-the-book religion that he parodies is just so far removed from my life. I didn't find it laugh-out-loud funny, either, and it took about two-thirds of the book for me to start getting really invested in the plot. I do plan to give Pratchett's Discworld another try at some point--I've had Hogfather and Going Postal recommended to me, and I think I have both of them lying around my apartment somewhere.

In other news, I've now read 25 books, which means I'm halfway through the 50-book challenge! Yes, I was supposed to have reached this milestone by July 1. I have a lot of books I'm excited to read, though, so hopefully I'll catch up. Best books so far: Revolutionary Road, A Wild Sheep Chase, The Hunger Games, The Left Hand of Darkness and East of Eden. I cannot say enough good things about these books!

2 comments:

  1. This is pretty much how I feel about Terry Pratchett books as well. Megan has all of them and really enjoys them, but I just don't see the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I was supposed to finish my challenge by the time you got back to visit! Now I'm still 8 books behind. But still doing it.... :) Gotta keep up the posting like you!!! Such a slacker :(

    ReplyDelete