9.05.2011

28. Catching Fire

Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
Scholastic Press, 285 pages, 2009

I've been SO looking forward to reading this ever since I finished The Hunger Games, and it didn't disappoint. I did find the first half of the book less suspenseful than The Hunger Games, since the Games are now over and the story revolves around the victors going on tour and the rebellions that have started in the districts of Panem, but it picked up in the second half for reasons that I can't talk about because it would be a huge spoiler. I don't think I am going to know 100 percent how I feel about this book until I finish reading the third book, to be honest. It did start to seem less like the author had created a complex world and was working within its bounds and more like she was just pulling out all the tricks in the book to create suspense, but shit, it worked.

Next up: Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't too impressed with The Hunger Games, tbh. But I think it was just for the writing style more than anything. 1st person present tense is weird for me to read. It's even weirder when the book is about a game where people fight to the death. I kind of knew that she wasn't going to die in the first book.

    The second book was a bit better, I thought. I do agree it picked up halfway in the middle. I feel like it ended kind of abruptly though. I'll most likely read the third book jsut because I've come this far haha.

    P.S. I didn't know you had this blog too! I'm all up on it now!

    ReplyDelete