12.21.2011

39. Holes

Holes, Louis Sachar
Yearling (Random House) e-book, 233 pages, 1998

Holes came highly recommended by Susi, and I'd seen the movie years ago and loved it, so when I saw that it was available as an e-book from the San Francisco Public Library, I jumped on it. (Yes, I also needed a short, easy read to keep up with the book challenge. And by "keep up with" I mean "desperately try to close the yawning gap between the number of books I should have read and the number I've actually read.") Anyway, I'm glad I did because the book was fantastic--tightly plotted, surprising, and full of more poetry and romance and wonder than I would have expected from the author of There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom. (Not, to be fair, that I've ever read it, or any of Sachar's other books, but I'll admit I didn't expect at 24 to enjoy a book by an author that was popular with the boys in my class in the fifth grade. Huh.)

Oh, and as this was my first library e-book checkout, I might as well note that it's extremely strange to me that the library actually links to the Amazon website for checkout, complete with "Customers who bought this item also bought..." links (for purchase, not library checkout). Huh?? Also, when the book is returned, you get an email from Amazon reminding you that if you check the book out again or purchase it for Kindle your notes and highlights will be preserved. I mean, in a sense that's useful information, but it still feels icky for an online commercial giant to be so all over a library book checkout. (That said, it is pretty fucking sweet that I can read San Francisco public library books while living in Japan.)

No comments:

Post a Comment