6.17.2011

17. Paulo Coehlo: The Alchemist

The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho
Harper UK (HarperCollins), 177 pages, 1988, translated by Alan R. Clarke in 1992

A while ago I was obsessed with asking people on Omegle to tell me their favorite book. 9 out of 10 people responded with some variation of "u r gay," and except for one, all of the rest said Twilight. The last person recommended The Alchemist.

So yeah, it's slightly above the intellectual standard of Twilight, but not by much. I can see why it became a bestseller, and it does have its moments, but I don't really have any patience for the kind of vague pseudo-spiritual mumbo-jumbo it puts forth. I got fed up with it around the time Fatima appeared--nothing annoys me like a cardboard cutout love interest (whose love story with the hero is nevertheless supposed to be somehow significant) in a story where all the men are running around dealing with Important Life Questions. Bitch, please. C-- would not buy again

Next up: This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment