5.15.2010

Word nerd

The books I plan on bringing to Japan:

1. Strunk and White- The Elements of Style. Not so much because I think I'll really need it to teach English to Japanese high school students; more so because my identity depends upon being the kind of person who carries her Elements of Style everywhere, even to Japan. Also, it's very small and portable.

2. Lawrence LeShan- How to Meditate. Also portable, and in Japan I'm going to, like, be totally spiritual and stuff.

3. Vladimir Nabokov- Speak, Memory. This is probably going to be my main reading material for the flight, orientation, travel to my prefecture, and first few weeks before I figure out how to acquire other books in English (and, um, get internet). I'm not sure it will last me that long, so I'm thinking about bringing one more just in case. I originally wanted to bring War and Peace but I have so many unread and half-read books laying around, and since I already have so many to choose from I really think that ten dollars would better be spent on dinner or nomihoudai or, like, rent. But none of my current titles seem appropriate. Maybe A People's History of the United States?

No comments:

Post a Comment